vintage and contemporary postcards and stamps from around the world


30 July 2017

Sunday Stamps II - 137

1971, USSR, Space Exploration

The Lunokhod - "Moonwalker" - was a robotic lunar rover, and this stamp shows the Lunokhod 1, the first remote controlled rover which landed on the moon in 1970. It has a rather cartoonish look here, which I love.  On the lid is a solar cell for powering the batteries. It landed on Sea of Rains and travelled 6.5 miles during its 322 day sojourn. No one knew exactly where it was when the final signals failed, but in 2010 A NASA Lunar Reconnaissance Orbiter found it and found that the reflectors are still useful.

for stars, moon or planets

6 comments:

Bob Scotney said...

Poland issued a Lunochod stamp as well which I showed in 2015. Like the 'eyes' on the front.

Heleen said...

Nice stamp, I like the theme (science, moon) but I love the cartoonic look, too :-)

viridian said...

Love this stamp. For the same reasons you do, yes, but I appreciate the older CCCP stamps.

Mail Adventures said...

The USSR is always a winner in space-related stamps.

FinnBadger said...

Great choice, like others have mentioned the 'face' on the moonwalker is a lot of fun.

Anonymous said...

Nice stamp, I like the theme (science, moon) but I love the cartoonic look,


ทางบ้าน