vintage and contemporary postcards and stamps from around the world


04 June 2017

Sunday Stamps II - 129

1922, Ireland, 2 penny definitive
designer: J Ingram

This was the first non overprinted stamp issued in the Irish Free State, and it controversially shows a map that includes Northern Ireland. It was in use until 1940 when a new, nearly identical stamp was issued with an e watermark. Two pence is written in Gaelic on the bottom da pingin. Interstingly, 'Eire' is often shown this way with the I and R in upper case and both the 'e's in lower case.
for interesting fonts

5 comments:

Bob Scotney said...

I found this theme an interesting challenge as it has forced me to look at all stamps, not just from Eire in a different way.

FinnBadger said...

That's a very interesting, and understated stamp.

Joy said...

I love the shape of Gaelic letters and might be seeing more as I'm off to Ireland later this month.

Heleen said...

I love this theme! And the Irish stamp's typography I think beautiful.

Mail Adventures said...

I had seen this use of upper/lower case a lot of times... and never noticed. Thanks for this interesting theme!